September 2014 Quarterly Newsletter…
Limestone Valley had a very busy summer. We have done our best to describe the work that we have put in on several of our Clean Water Act Projects below:
For the South Chickamauga Headwaters Project:
- We worked to provide financial assistance to approximately ten more local residents for repairs on their failing septic systems.
- Soon, letters will go out to farmers advertizing potential cost-shares on agricultural projects that aim to improve water quality.
- In addition, we have started water quality sampling once a month at various sites within the watershed. This effort is to last one year.
For the Coahulla Creek Watershed Project:
- We have now received official word that we will be awarded a grant to implement the Coahulla Creek Watershed Management Plan, which would likely start at some point in early 2015.
- We are already meeting with the City of Dalton regarding a potential bank stabilization project along Mill Creek.
- We also recently represented our efforts in the larger Conasauga River Watershed at a recent Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation meeting for Conasauga River Watershed stakeholders.
For the Lookout Creek Watershed Project:
- The last of watershed stakeholder meetings was held.
- The Watershed Management Plan draft was approved by the stakeholders.
- We are currently planning an Adopt-A-Stream workshop with Dade County 4-H Club and a Rivers Alive Stream Cleanup focused on Lookout Creek at Sells Lane and Town Creek within Jenkins Park.
- We have also begun work on a grant proposal aimed at getting implementation of the recently approved Watershed Management Plan funded.
For the Upper Oostanaula Watershed Project:
- We again sampled fecal coliform bacteria, turbidity, and several other water quality parameters at several sites within the watershed.
- The Upper Oostanaula Watershed Management Plan draft was completed and will soon be sent out to stakeholders for approval.
- The last of three watershed stakeholder meetings will soon be held to go over the plan and seek comments and approval.
For the Holly Creek Watershed Project:
- We completed a year of sampling for fecal coliform bacteria and total suspended at various sites within the watershed.
- Work continued on the Holly Creek Watershed Management Plan draft.
- We also completed a Canoe Cleanup Float down the Conasauga River in late August.
- We are currently planning the 20th Annual Conasauga Rivers Alive Cleanup.