June 2014 Quarterly Newsletter…
Limestone Valley had a very busy late spring and summer. We have done our best to describe the work that we have put in on several of our Clean Water Act Projects below:
For the South Chickamauga Headwaters Project:
- The grant contract was signed and we began work on the project.
- We have already worked to provide financial assistance to over ten local residents for repairs on their failing septic systems.
- We also assisted with the planning and implementation of Catoosa 4-H H2O Camp, which included an Adopt-A-Stream Workshop and a Canoe Cleanup Float down South Chickamauga Creek.
For the Coahulla Creek Watershed Project:
- In October, we applied for an additional grant to implement the watershed management plan and fund water quality improvement projects.
- We have now received official word that we will be awarded this grant, which would likely start at some point in early 2015.
For the Lookout Creek Watershed Project:
- The second of three watershed stakeholder meetings was held.
- Work continued on the Lookout Creek Watershed Management Plan draft, which has now been made available for comments.
- We also conducted a presentation for the Dade County Commission where we described the plan and sought comments on its content.
For the Upper Oostanaula Watershed Project:
- We again sampled fecal coliform bacteria, turbidity, and several other water quality parameters at several sites within the watershed.
- Work continued on the Upper Oostanaula Watershed Management Plan draft.
- The second of three watershed stakeholder meetings was also held.
For the Holly Creek Watershed Project:
- We continued sampling for fecal coliform bacteria and total suspended at various sites within the watershed.
- Work continued on the Holly Creek Watershed Management Plan draft.
- We also assisted with the planning and implementation of Murray 4-H H2O Camp, which included an Adopt-A-Stream Workshop. A Canoe Cleanup Float down the Conasauga River has been rescheduled for early August.