December 2013 Quarterly Newsletter…
As usual, Limestone Valley has had a lot going on in the last few months. Here goes our attempt to describe what went on in relation to several of our Clean Water Act Projects….
For the Conasauga River Watershed Project:
- We finished up and submitted the final grant close-out report.
For the South Chickamauga Headwaters Project:
- We conducted additional site visits with NRCS for farm-owners interested in BMPs.
- We further investigated and planned tree-planting events, in addition to other volunteer events.
- We wrote and submitted a proposal requesting additional funding for the South Chickamauga Headwaters Project.
- We met with Georgia Department of Public Health about the septic system repair program.
- We began a strong marketing effort for the septic system repair program.
- We went on our first septic system repair site visits.
For the Coahulla Creek Watershed Project:
- We continued monthly sampling for fecal coliform bacteria counts and total suspended solids at eight sites within the watershed.
- We continued working on the Coahulla Creek Watershed Management Plan draft and submitted progress to Georgia EPD.
- We completed the majority of the watershed mapping component for the grant.
- We attempted to recruit additional stakeholders at the Prater’s Mill Fair.
- We held an Adopt-A-Stream data entry workshop with Murray County 4H.
- We continued planning for and executed the Fall Stream Cleanup Event.
For the Salacoa Creek Watershed Project:
- We continued sampling for fecal coliform bacteria counts, TSS, and several other parameters within the watershed at several sites.
- We began working on the Salacoa Creek Watershed Management Plan draft and submitted progress to Georgia EPD.
- We continued recruiting watershed advisory members.
- We met with Gordon County GIS about watershed mapping.