As usual, Limestone Valley has been busier than ever this spring.  Our attempt to describe what went on in relation to several of our Clean Water Act Projects follows:

For the South Chickamauga Headwaters Project: 

  • We disbursed cost-share portions to landowners for recently completed agricultural projects.
  • We also worked with NRCS and additional landowners on getting the other agricultural projects that we currently have contracted finished.  Each of these projects is to be completed by the end of summer.
  • In addition, we visited another farm property and have discussed the potential for an additional agricultural project on the property.
  • We continued marketing for our septic system repair program and completed more than ten septic system repairs, which exceeds our goal for the current grant.  We completed cost-share reimbursements for all finished repairs.
  • We conducted a canoe cleanup with Catoosa County 4-H along South Chickamauga Creek.
  • We were recommended for an additional grant to fund additional agricultural projects, septic system repairs, and monitoring.

For the Coahulla Creek Watershed Project: 

  • We completed twelve consecutive months of sampling for fecal coliform bacteria counts and total suspended solids at eight sites within the watershed.
  • We continued working on the Coahulla Creek Watershed Management Plan draft.
  • We held the second of our Watershed Advisory Committee meetings.

For the Salacoa Creek Watershed Project: 

  • We continued sampling for fecal coliform bacteria counts, TSS, and several other water quality parameters at several sites within the watershed.
  • We continued working on the Salacoa Creek Watershed Management Plan draft.
  • We continued recruiting watershed advisory members.
  • We have an GIS intern lined up to conduct several of the watershed mapping components of the grant. 

For the Lookout Creek Watershed Project: 

  • We continued sampling fecal coliform bacteria, turbidity, and several other water quality parameters within the watershed at several sites. 
  • We continued working on the Lookout Creek Watershed Management Plan draft.
  • We began hashing out a plan to sample macroinvertebrate assemblages within the watershed. 
  • We continued focusing on developing partnerships integral to project success.

For the Upper Oostanaula Watershed Project:

  • We continued sampling fecal coliform bacteria, turbidity, and several other water quality parameters at several sites within the watershed. 
  • We continued working on the Upper Oostanaula Watershed Management Plan draft.
  • We continued to look at historical sampling data and really investigate the watershed and sources of nonpoint source pollution.
  • We continued focusing on some of the partnerships most integral to project success.
  • We began to work on the GIS analysis portion of the grant.